Sunday 8 August 2004

XP SP2 *will* be distributed through Automatic Updates

This is a scary prospect - Microsoft have confirmed it.

I suggest that companies not using Software Update Services either start doing so or set Automatic Updates to advise of new downloads only. I could cope with our developers making the switch one-by-one - they can handle any errors that result - but I think we need to manage our salesmen more closely. Specifically, we need to test that SP2 works properly with our VPN software and with their new laptops.

You can configure Automatic Updates through Group Policy without having to touch every computer, if you have an Active Directory-based domain.

Ironically I'm more worried about getting the salesmen updated ASAP than the developers, because I think the salesmen are less likely to practise safe computing. But it has to be organised.

No comments: