Wednesday 10 March 2004

Oops, we slipped

Microsoft Watch is reporting that Yukon (the next release of SQL Server) and Whidbey (the next release of Visual Studio) have slipped to 2005.

Damn, I was looking forward to programming devices in C++ using Visual Studio. Embedded Visual C++ is a cut-down and modified version of Visual C++ 6.0. Not done very well, I might add; it's very crash-prone, particularly if used aggressively - I have a very short code-compile-test-debug cycle. Sometimes I could do with more thought, but if I leave it too long before compiling I end up going down blind alleys. Compiling and testing gives me confidence.

I was also looking forward to an improved .NET Compact Framework (I'll post my frustrations with writing a pretty simple control soon) and a more complete .NET Framework - also, a 64-bit Framework.

I wonder which bit slipped? Probably the CLR, if the list of job postings posted by an MS blogger recently (that I can't now find!) was anything to go by.

It'll also get me off Josh Heitzman's back ;)

No comments: